Sunday, November 27, 2011

Guinea Pig #1 for Learning to Applique/Embroider Baby Items

One of the things I am most interested in is creating cute things for babies!!  In an effort to learn to do lots of different things I have a special group of pregnant mamas I am making gifts for over the next 6 months or so.  I tend to refer to them as my guinea pigs!

The first mama up actually went into labor about 3 weeks early.  I went into a frenzy to get my planned items completed for her once I knew she was in labor because I had really wanted her to have them before the baby's arrival.  The night I worked on these I cut my finger with a rotary cutter and bled like a stuck pig for a good 15 minutes.  The whole time I took care not to get a drop of blood on her special things - which was rather difficult considering they were all WHITE!  As it so turns out her sweet little boy is having a little stay in the NICU so it will be a while before he gets to wear any of this but at least I know when he does he'll have a few little items from me!

New things I experienced with this set of gifts include

  • first applique on bib
  • first kimono wrap top
  • used new technique for backing a burp cloth with fabric
  • first time combining designs to make my own design (personalized patch)

This mama uses Dr. Seuss characters in her nursery.  I had hoped to have time to order some special fabric for her but there was no time for that.  The best I could do in the way of Seuss-ness was this bib with the Thing 2 patch on it - fitting since this is her 2nd baby!

















I also had been wanting to try out these kimono wrap tops.  I thought they would be easier to work with than a onesie but I'm really not so sure about that now.  The hoop edge gets a little too close for my comfort to the curved edge of the wrap.  At any rate, this one is kind of funny.  The patch is hysterically large on this tiny top but it really did stitch out nicely.  The "r" is from minky.  Prior to stitching this design I had just bemoaned my 4x4 hoop but this design on this top made me appreciate how big 4x4 could really be!


And, lastly, what mom can't use another cute burp cloth?  




No comments:

Post a Comment