Friday, November 18, 2011

School of T&E: Applique Cafe Raggy Turkey

Because I have a girl I do not get much opportunity to do cutesy stuff for boys.  I also have never appliqued a onesie since Olivia rarely wears them anymore so when I had the opportunity to buy some boy colors onesie blanks from a destash I immediately thought of my online BFF who has an almost 3 month old boy.  I looked at the MANY turkeys available and decided to go with Applique Cafe's Raggy Turkey merged with the Whoa Nelly font by 8 Claw and a Paw Embroidery.

This project brought with it many firsts so the School of Trial & Error was, of course, in session!

  • first raggy design 
  • first boy outfit
  • first time figuring out how to hoop a onesie
  • first time using my new software, Sew What Pro, to merge a name with a design

Working with a onesie was hands down the most frustrating aspect of this project but now that I know what to do and what not to do I think it will be just get easier each time.  Fortunately, I was able to turn to my trusted Applique Forum friends to find the perfect tutorial for how to hoop a onesie.  Megan, from Penguin Personalization has a fantastic tutorial here.  Part of the angst I experienced with the onesie is that I accidentally allowed the snaps to get caught up under the hoop while stitching and what a mess!












Yep!  I sew that turkey right onto the snaps area....  Sigh....  So me and my handy seam ripper spent a long time fixing that one.  That will NOT happen again!!  And lastly, one more little learning moment, apparently if you want your "raggy" turkey to be "raggy" you should not put Heat N Bond Lite on the fabric like you do for everything else!  Lesson learned!!

Here is my final product, whole onesie and design up close

No comments:

Post a Comment